Yellow Rice And Chicken
This recipe also was included in the What’s Cooking Under The Hair Dryer and it is the recipe from the Columbia Restaurant in Tampa, Florida, actually it’s in Ybor City which is part of Tampa. The Columbia was established in 1905 and is the oldest restaurant in Florida!
One of the reasons I wanted to post it, was because I had eaten at this restaurant on many occasions when I lived in Largo, Florida, however I never had this particular dish, usually had their Cuban sandwiches. Another reason, I never heard of putting tomatoes in this southern favorite! Bear with me on this one too, as a couple of things we’re gonna have to do, to make it, is second guess some of the ingredients, I’m game are you?
- 1 fryer
- 1 onion
- 2 buttons garlic ?
- 1 bay leaf
- Pinch saffron
- 1 lb rice
- 4 oz lard or ½ pt. olive oil
- 2 pimentos
- 1 green pepper
- 2 tbsp salt
- 6 oz tomatoes ?
- 1-1/2 qts. of water
- 1 can (2 oz) petit pois
- Cut chicken in quarters and fry with onions and garlic; when finished, add tomatoes with water.
- Boil for 5 minutes - add bay leaf, salt, rice, saffron and green pepper. (I believe you're suppose to add these ingredients and then boil for 5 minutes, but I posted it as it was written)
- Stir thoroughly; place in moderate heated oven for 20 minutes.
- Garnish with Petit Pois and pimentos.
My inserted question mark for the tomatoes, are they fresh or canned and for the pepper, what size? And if you never heard of petit pois, that’s the fancy name for the green peas in the above picture. Enjoy figuring this one out because it does sound very good and this restaurant is known for their excellent food.