Crock Pot Pork Chops With Sour Cream And Onion Gravy
After getting up at O’dark thirty yesterday morning, I didn’t feel like spending a lot of time in the kitchen preparing dinner and my mind went right to the crock pot and even that didn’t go as planned! First of all, my mashed potatoes were more on the style of soupy mashed taters and I made a major boo boo when it came to making the gravy for the chops; just don’t know where my mind was other than maybe taking a nap after a long day of working around the house and the lack of sleep could have been huge contributing factors. You see, I always use sour cream in my taters instead of milk, last night, used milk and then for the gravy, instead of sour cream, I used cream cheese! Why was my mind so distant to using sour cream, I have no idea. I was looking at the gravy thinking something didn’t look right but was totally at sea as to what I had done. Sometimes when you make something often enough, you seem to get a brain fart and that’s exactly what I did last night. Well, all was not totally lost, as I never let on to husband about the mistakes and he found it so tasty that he wants some of the left-over gravy over fresh biscuits for lunch! I do have to admit that my goof-up did turn out okay but just with a little different flavor and consistency than normal. So I am going to give you my normal way of making it and my little screw-up version in parenthesis!
- 4 boneless pork chops between ¼ and ½ inch thick
- Pepper and onion powder to taste
- Flour for dredging
- 1 large sweet onion sliced about ¼ inch thick, I used Vidalia
- 2 cups chicken broth, I use low-sodium
- 2 tbsp dried chives ( I left these out last night, well initially )
- 2 tbsp flour, i use more to get a thicker gravy but start with 2 and then add more whisked together with a little water until you get the consistency desired
- 1 container (8 oz) sour cream (my screw-up as I used 8 oz of whipped cream cheese with chives instead, guess I had the chives in my head telling me that I had forgot them earlier!)
- Rub pork chops with the pepper and onion powder; dredge lightly in flour, shaking off excess.
- In a lightly oiled skillet over medium heat, brown chops on both sides.
- Place chops in crock pot and top with sliced onions; add the chicken broth and chives.
- Cover and cook on LOW for 5 to 6 hours or until chops are tender.
- Remove chops from cooker and add the sour cream that has been combined with the 2 tablespoons of flour to the meat juices.
- Turn pot on HIGH and cook for about 15 minutes, stirring occasionally, until sauce has thickened, adding more flour paste if necessary.
I hope you enjoy as much as we do and if you notice, I was so tired, I even skipped on a veggie and that is something I very rarely do………………….