Chili For The Vegan
This month is Beans Month and this recipe is meatless but does contain kidney beans. Not overly fond of beans in our chili, we like to substitute them with macaroni. And no offense to those who choose not to eat meat, but we love our chili chuck full of hamburger meat! But in respect to our friends out there who are vegans, this recipe does sound like a wonderful alternative for getting that chili cooked up your way!
- 1tbsp olive oil
- 1 cup chopped sweet onion
- 1 clove of garlic, minced
- 1-1/2 cups peeled diced tomato
- 1 cup frozen corn
- 1 can (8 oz) tomato sauce
- 1 cup canned kidney beans, rinsed and drained
- ½ cup vegetable broth
- 1 teas chili powder
- ½ teas ground cumin
- ¼ teas dried oregano
- Salt and pepper to taste
- ⅛ teas red pepper
- Hot cooked rice.
- Heat oil in a skillet and saute the onion and garlic for about 5 minutes or until onion is transparent in color.
- Add the tomatoes and corn, cooking until the tomatoes become pulpy.
- Add the tomato sauce, beans, broth and seasonings; add a little extra broth if too thick; simmer for 6 to 8 minutes.
- Serve chili over the rice.
Hope you enjoy as I’m off to make some of our chili for the cold weather we’ll be experiencing this weekend!