Zucchini Spaghetti Sauce
Wanting something different last night, I remembered reading somewhere about using zucchini and tomatoes together to make a spaghetti sauce and thought I’d try throwing in my two-cents worth and whoop something up. During the course of our meal, Kenny mentioned that it would be an ideal Italian style salsa for dipping mozzarella cheese sticks, zucchini sticks or even some fried chicken fingers and with enough left over, we’ll do just that, as those are all prepped fresh in our freezer just waiting for us to enjoy!
This recipe is great for the vegetarians out there as it is all veggies, but you can also add meat balls or cooked hamburger to the sauce for those who can’t live without their meat. I did have some homemade meatballs in the freezer and for us, I heated them in the sauce at the end of the cooking time and of course, had some fresh garlic bread that was great for sopping up the extra sauce on our plates!
- 2 cups chopped zucchini
- 1cup chopped onion
- 2 cloves of garlic, minced
- ¼ cup olive oil
- 3 ripe tomatoes, medium in size
- ½ cup tomato puree
- ¼ cup water
- ½ teas dried basil, crushed
- 1 teas dried parsley, crushed
- ½ teas dried oregano, crushed
- 1 teas sea salt
- ⅛ teas white pepper
- Pinch of sugar
- *Precooked meatballs or ½ lb cooked hamburger (optional)
- Place tomatoes in boiling water for a couple of minutes until skins start to split; remove from water and let cool slightly in order to be able to handle. Peel off skins and chop.
- Saute the zucchini, onion and garlic in the olive oil until onions are transparent in color.
- Add chopped tomatoes and remaining ingredients to the zucchini mixture, mix well and simmer for about 30 minutes or until sauce has thickened somewhat.
- Serve over cooked pasta of your choice or use it as a dipping sauce like I mentioned above!
- *If adding the meat, add it to the sauce about 10 minutes after the start of the simmering time.
Husband and I really enjoyed the flavor of this dish and the aroma coming out of the kitchen drove him crazy as he did not know what the heck I was making! Our plates ended up empty and dog was the only one disappointed! ………..Enjoy and have a nice weekend!