Ham In Creamy Cheese Sauce
First of all, let me start by sending our prayers and thoughts to all those in the path of destruction this week that still continues to plague us here in the south! So far here in north central Florida, we have only had light rain but from the looks of it, the worst is not over. I can’t believe that around the Pensacola area, they received over a foot of rain in one day and up to five inches in one hour, that’s more rain than we usually see during a hurricane! I am going to try real hard not to moan and groan about the little mud problem we have been experiencing here because in comparison, we have been pretty damn lucky!
Saturday was a goof off day for us and another excursion to the flea market which was basically fruitless except for buying some fresh veggies. However, I did manage to come across a beautiful glass lasagna dish by Anchor Hocking for a mere $2.00. A man had it at his booth and it was all dirty and had some things set inside it and when he told me how much he wanted, it was SOLD! It is a vintage, 4 quart, 13x10x3″ dish and very heavy-duty, just ask husband who had to carry it through the rest of the flea market! After a little bleach and soap, it cleaned up like brand new and ready for me to make some lasagna for Kenny who has been nagging me ever since I bought it; guess he deserves it since he carried it so long…….
Today’s recipe was just a throw together dish to try and use up some of the ham left-over from Easter and one I will be making again according to husband. It’s a no brainer dish, very simple and a good combo served over corn bread, biscuits or even dinner rolls. I had already used all my Hawaiian rolls which I’m sure would have also made a great base for this creamy, cheesy ham! Maybe next time………
- 2 med carrots
- ½ cup chopped sweet onion
- ⅓ cup butter
- ⅓ cup flour
- ¼ teas sea salt
- ⅛ teas white pepper
- 1-1/2 teas dry mustard powder
- 2 cups milk
- 1 cup grated Swiss cheese
- 1 cup diced, cooked ham
- Corn bread, biscuits or rolls
- Dice carrots and cook until tender, adding the onions just before they're finished; drain and set aside.
- Melt butter over low heat in a saucepan and whisk in the flour, salt, pepper and dry mustard.
- Gradually add the milk and while stirring constantly, cook until thickened.
- Add the cheese, ham and carrot mixture and continue until cheese is melted and ham is heated through.
- Serve over fresh baked corn bread, biscuits or rolls.
Hope you enjoy……………