Honey Bee Orange Bread
With Monday over, it’s time to get back in the groove and as I never got my 3rd batch of pickles started yesterday, this afternoon will be dedicated to doing just that. Today marks Kenny and I’s 25 years of being together and I’m so glad he retired so as we can spend this milestone with one and another at home working and doing things with each others company, gotta love it! This recipe today is a recipe I found a long time ago and it has been sitting in my to bake bucket ever since and glad I found it again as I plan on making it very soon! I think one of the reasons I have not made it yet, is because honey was never on top of my list for cooking. But the more I cook with it the more I like it and we have a lot of local honey here to buy, so:
- 2 tbsp Crisco shortening
- 1 cup honey
- 1 egg, slightly beaten
- 1-1/2 tbsp grated orange peel
- 1-1/2 cups flour
- 1-1/2 teas baking powder
- ½ teas salt
- ½ teas baking soda
- ¾ cup fresh squeezed orange juice
- ¾ chopped walnuts
- Cream the shortening and honey together; stir in the egg and orange peel.
- Sift the dry ingredients together and stir into the honey mixture along with the orange juice.
- Stir in the nuts and bake in a greased loaf pan in a 350 degree oven for 45 minutes to 1 hour or until bread tests done.
Oh, today is also National Cherry Tart Day and I have been slipping on letting you know the holiday for the days, my bad …….Hope you enjoy!