It’s still Sausage Lovers Month and this is a recipe that’s easy to make and does not take to long to cure as a lot of your different types of sausage. Husband is a big fan of sausage unlike me who just likes regular breakfast sausage especially in gravy over biscuits! Haven’t fixed them in a long time and when husband reads this, he’ll be bugging me to fix some for him!
- 5 lbs ground beef *
- 5 teas Morton's Tender Quick salt
- 2-1/2 teas garlic salt
- 1 teas hickory smoked salt
- 2-1/2 teas black pepper
- 2-1/2 teas whole mustard seed
- * Lean ground beef is not recommended for this recipe as it does not have enough fat to give it the speckled appearance.
- Combine all the ingredients and mix thoroughly.
- Refrigerate in a covered dish and continue to mix once a day for three days.
- On the fourth day, pack into rolls 2-1/2 inches in diameter and place on a jelly roll pan.
- Bake, covered, in a 150 degree oven for 8-10 hours, turning every 3-4 hours.
- Cool and wrap tightly into foil.
- Keep in the refrigerator.
The Morton’s Tender Quick salt used in this recipe may be hard for you to find but you may find it in your local feed store or Walmart’s and if not at those two places, it is available at amazon. This salt must be used as it is a preserving agent. Hope you enjoy, I’m sure Kenny will as soon as I make it!