Lemony Blueberry Muffins With Streusel Topping
With today being National Blueberry Muffin Day, what better opportunity to add this recipe! I have blueberries in the frig that I picked out in the woods this year and maybe I’ll make these little tasty morsels to compliment our coffee in the morning as we are not big breakfast buffs, our breakfast is usually more of a lunch or dinner for us. Our blueberries were very late in coming this year and not as plentiful as usual for some reason, something to do with mother nature, I’m sure! Today is also Vegetarian Food Day for all our friends out there who are vegetarians!
The pic below is from an earlier batch of muffins that I can’t seem to find the recipe for and is not on our site, where did it go? Now I’m off on a mission to find my old recipe that has been misplaced somewhere in my recipe boxes and somewhere in cyberspace, oh my! As soon as it shows up, I’ll have to add it to our site, one more time…………
- 1-3/4 cups self-rising flour
- ½ cup + 2 tbsp sugar
- ¾ cup milk
- ⅓ cup vegetable oil
- 1 egg, beaten
- 1-1/2 teas lemon zest
- ¾ cup fresh blueberries
- 2 tbsp sugar
- 2 tbsp cold butter
- ¼ cup all-purpose flour
- 2 tbsp light brown sugar, packed
- ¼ teas ground cinnamon
- Combine the flour and sugar in a bowl and make a well in the center.
- Combine the milk with the oil and egg and add to the flour mixture.
- Stir just until batter is moistened.
- Toss berries and lemon zest with the sugar and gently fold them into the batter.
- Spoon into greased muffin tins, filling about ⅔ full.
- For the streusel, combine the flour, sugar and cinnamon and cut in the butter using a pastry blender.
- Sprinkle top of each muffin with about 2 teaspoons of the streusel and bake in a 400 degree oven for 20-25 minutes or until muffins are golden brown.
Hope you enjoy!