Spicy Applesauce Carrot Cake With Walnuts
Who doesn’t like carrot cake especially at Easter? Maybe it’s the bunny thing delivering the eggs that makes my think of carrots! I hope you all had a wonderful Easter as we did here…… It wasn’t quite as crazy here as I thought it would be as one granddaughter couldn’t make it due to her honey working and the same went for our daughter who also had to work. So it ended up just being our other granddaughter Sammi with her hubby and daughter and an 11 pound ham with lots of side dishes to grace our Easter feast! Kenny and I also decided to try some different dishes this year and we will be bringing them to you in the near future, some that had a few glitches and others, nary a one. I also surprised Sam’s husband with some homemade Hawaiian bread rolls as his only request for dinner was some big fat yeast rolls!
This cake is so moist and tasty with the addition of applesauce, that there almost wasn’t enough to go around for just the five of us, but I did manage to save a little for us and a piece for Sam to put in her husband’s lunch the next day. And of course, you gotta top this sweet treat with some homemade Cream Cheese Frosting. I also like the combination of spices which adds even more flavor.
Another thing you can add to this cake are raisins which I seemed to overlook the fact that my cupboard was bare when it came to these.
I could have sworn I had some, so that pesky raisin thief must have been lurking around yet again, Husband????
- 2 & ¾ cups flour
- 3 teas baking soda
- 1 teas salt
- 3 teas cinnamon
- 1 teas nutmeg
- ¼ to ½ teas ground ginger
- 4 eggs at room temperature
- ¾ cup vegetable oil
- 2 cups sugar
- 1 teas pure vanilla extract
- 14 oz container of all natural applesauce
- 3 cups shredded carrots, I do mine on medium grate
- 1 cup raisins (optional)
- 1 cup chopped nuts, pecans or walnuts
- Sift together the first 6 ingredients in a large bowl and set aside.
- In another large bowl, beat the eggs to combine.
- Add the oil, sugar, vanilla and applesauce and mix well.
- Stir in the carrots and mix.
- Add egg mixture to the flour mixture and stir just to combine.
- Fold in the raisins and nuts.
- Pour into 2, 9-inch greased and floured cake pans or 1, 9 X 13 pan, again greased and floured.
- Bake in a 350 degree oven for about 35 to 45 minutes depending on pans used or until cake tests done.
- Cool for 10 minutes in pans on wire racks and remove to cool completely before adding your favorite cream cheese icing..........
Hope you enjoy, we did!