Sweet And Spicy Sweet Potatoes
With summer officially still here, well at least for a couple of weeks, I know a lot of people are still grilling and these potatoes are excellent on the grill. We are fortunate enough here to use our grill year round and we take advantage of that in a big way. When husband used to live up north, he told me he even grilled out during the winter months with snow on the ground! I told ya he was a bit wacked! But seriously, doesn’t everyone like to cook out? And now with fall weather starting to edge it’s way in, it’s even nicer cooking out with the temps starting to drop down so as to make it not so unbearable!
- 2 lbs sweet potatoes
- 3 tbsp soy sauce
- 2 tbsp dry sherry
- 2 tbsp honey
- 2 tbsp water
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- Peel and cut potatoes into wedges.
- Steam potatoes for about 5-7 minutes or until almost tender.
- Combine the next 5 ingredients in a baking dish add the potatoes and toss to coat.
- Drain potatoes, saving the soy mixture for basting.
- Place potatoes in a single layer in a grilling basket and brush with the oil.
- Cook, covered with grill lid down over medium heat (350 degrees) for about 15 minutes.
- Turn and baste potatoes several time during the cooking process.
With sweet potatoes starting to come into the vegetable stands, this recipe is a must! Did you know that yams and sweet potatoes are two different veggies all together, as the sweet potatoes are much higher in beta-carotene and much lower in calories, I go for that one! So next time you go to buy sweet potatoes, make sure you’re getting the real deal………..enjoy!