Sour Creme Streusel Coffee Cake
In my quest to put some weight on my husband, I’ve been making more sweet treats than I think I’ve ever cooked in my life. With the doc telling us that his sugar is very normal for his age, my goal and my mind was hell bent for leather and determined to add a few pounds to his trim body and so far it’s working! Kenny has never been heavy to begin with but with just a few pounds lost, you could really see a difference. Another reason for the coffee cake was that he had to eat in the morning with one of his meds and we are just not early breakfast eaters so this fit the bill real well! I also have to admit, our local grocery store had coffee cakes on sale the other day and as we hadn’t had one in a long while and it got my taste buds in motion; what can I say!
- 2 cups + 2 tbsp sugar
- 2 teas cinnamon
- ½ teas nutmeg
- 1 cup chopped pecans or walnuts
- 1 cup butter at room temperature
- 1 teas vanilla
- 2 eggs at room temperature
- 2 cups of sifted flour
- 1 cup sour creme
- Combine the 2 teaspoons of sugar with the cinnamon, nutmeg and chopped nuts and set aside.
- Cream the butter until light and fluffy; continue beating adding the 2 cups of sugar in gradually until light and fluffy again, ending with the vanilla.
- Add eggs one at a time mixing well after each.
- Add the flour alternately with the sour cream until combined.
- Grease a 9-inch bundt pan and flour the bottom part.
- Pour half the mixture into the pan, top with the nut mixture and repeat with the remaining batter and nuts.
- Bake in a 350 degree oven for 50-60 minutes, leaving oven door shut during the baking time to keep cake from falling.
- Let cool in pan for 10 minutes before removing.
- May add a confectioner's icing after cooling time.
This would be a great treat for tomorrow morning with your coffee! I hope you enjoy this and the rest of the weekend as I’m off to make another sweet treat with more bananas for my husband and here’s a hint, today is National Pi Day. A couple you might want to check out that I posted are Irish Whiskey Pie just in time for St. Patrick’s Day on Monday. Another one is Kentucky Derby Pie, one of my all time favorites………….