Glazed Blueberry Honey Breakfast Cake
Folks, I’m still picking blueberries, probably 4 quarts already with more to pick tomorrow. I have been giving them away and freezing the rest for use later on. Having so many berries this year is the cause for so many of these tasty recipes popping up on mama. The one thing about our wild berries, is that they do lack a little of the sweetness that you have in the store bought ones which is fine by us because they have that little bit of tartness to compliment these sweet treats I have been posting.
Every morning when I go down the drive to get our paper, I have to stop by just to have a little breakfast for my short journey! This recipe would be a great way to start dad off this Sunday served up with a piping hot cup of coffee. I also topped my cake with some chopped pecans which was the cat’s meow for me but you can add any chopped nut of your liking or DAD’S………..
- For the cake:
- 2 cups flour
- ¾ cup honey
- ¼ cup melted butter
- ¾ cup milk
- 2-1/2 teas baking powder
- ¾ teas salt
- 2 cups fresh blueberries rinsed and dried or 2 cups frozen berries, thawed and drained
- For the topping:
- ½ cup powdered sugar
- ½ teas vanilla
- 1-2 teas hot water
- Chopped pecans, as many as you want to add
- Mix the flour, honey, butter, milk, baking powder and salt in a large bowl and beat for 30 seconds; fold in the blueberries.
- Pour batter into a 9-inch round cake dish that has been greased and floured.
- Bake in a 375 degree oven for 45 to 50 minutes or until cake tests done.
- Cool for 10 minutes.
- While cake is cooling, combine the powdered sugar and vanilla and adding enough water to make it to a drizzling consistency.
- Drizzle cake immediately and sprinkle with nuts if desired.
Hope all you dads out there get treated like royalty this Sunday! Happy Father’s Day to all and enjoy!