Homemade Chocolate Covered Cherries
Honestly folks, I have not intended to stay away for so long but sometimes life is just thata-way! They say that life is like a bowl of cherries and during the last couple of months it’s had it’s ups and downs. Husband’s heart has been all a flutter…off and on for a little while now and no, not because of me, ha ha! With several trips to the doctor and one to the hospital for some tests, we are now working on getting him back to the norm, whatever that is for him, but I still gotta love him! Between that and decorating for Christmas along with a big Christmas dinner with the local family and then of course, daughter and family down for a visit from Indiana after that, everything has been all out of whack along with husband’s heart.
Never even got started to get our house back to normal until this past Monday and the 40 some odd boxes of Christmas decor is packed up and awaiting another year to brighten our home and our hearts with holiday cheer! With over 30 animated and musical toys for all to play with, no one could be bored in this house no matter what room they were in. This includes my outhouse bathroom that sports an outhouse decorated with lights and Santa shouting out little sayings while he sits on the throne when you press the button!
Now, about the cherries I told you about and as I said, I probably will never make these little treats again; I’m not a cherry lover anyway so this gives me a good excuse to avoid the task and go on to easier things to make when I’m running such a tight schedule. Everybody did love them and I have to admit that the coating over the cherries was much to my liking and so that put another idea in my head for later on. But I did want to share this recipe with you with a couple of my changes to hopefully make your experience a little easier. It would also be a nice gift for that someone special for the next upcoming holiday, Valentine’s Day!!!!
- 3 tbsp butter
- ¼ cup evaporated milk
- 1 teas vanilla extract
- ¼ teas salt
- 4-1/4 cups powered sugar + more for dusting hands
- 1 jar (10 oz) maraschino cherries
- 1 small bag semisweet chocolate pieces of your choice (next time, if there is one, I will use dark chocolate)
- Melt butter in a saucepan over low heat.
- Stir in the milk, vanilla and salt.
- Remove from heat and gradually stir in the sugar.
- Dust hands with the extra powdered sugar, using more as needed and cover each cherry with about 2 tablespoonfuls of the sugar mixture; refrigerate for a few minutes.
- Melt chocolate pieces in a bowl in the microwave for a few seconds (chips do not all have to be completely melted before removing); remove and stir to completely melt.
- At this point you can either drop each cherry into the chocolate, one by one to coat and removing with two forks to a piece of parchment paper to cool or as I did, messily drizzle the chocolate over the cherries, ha ha!
- Refrigerate until serving time..........
Hope you enjoy and have fun ;)
And don’t forget to like us on Facebook or join our news letter to keep up with the latest recipe!