Cheesy Popcorn Bread
Calling all popcorn lovers! I have been meaning to put this recipe in for a week now as it appeared in our newspaper last Wednesday. In an article by Joe Yonan of the Washington Post, he talked of going to a local store to buy Little Lad’s herbal popcorn that was made by some local Seventh-Day Adventists. I’m not sure of who’s bread recipe this is, but after talking about his love of popcorn, he followed up with some popcorn recipes, this being one. He claims that it’s like a “light and airy corn bread” and being corn bread & popcorn lovers here, it’s already in my recipe bucket list to try because it is totally new to me and sounds very tasty!
- 4 cups popped corn (I assume popped plain, without salt and butter)
- 1 cup coarsely ground whole grain cornmeal
- 2 tbsp sugar
- 2 teas baking powder
- ½ teas kosher salt
- 1 large egg
- 1 cup low-fat milk
- ¼ cup vegetable oil
- 1 cup shredded Monterey Jack or pepper Jack cheese
- 4 oz canned mild diced green chilies, drained (optional)
- Grease an 8-inch square baking dish with cooking oil spray.
- Process the popcorn in a blender or food processor until finely ground (this could take as long as 5 minutes).
- Place popcorn in a large bowl along with the remaining dry ingredients, whisking until well blended.
- Whisk together the egg, milk and oil in a liquid measuring cup; add egg mixture to dry ingredients and stir to form a light batter.
- Scatter the cheese and chilies, if using, over the surface and stir until just evenly distributed.
- Pour the batter into the baking dish and spread it evenly into the corners.
- Bake in a preheated, 400 degree oven for 25 minutes or until lightly browned on the edges and a tester inserted into the center comes out clean.
- Cut into squares to serve.
Sounds pretty wild, but I’m game and if I ever get back to Bangor, Maine, my old stomping grounds for a time, I’m going up to Corinth and check out this place! Thanks to Joe Yonan, here’s another recipe for us to try. So if you get to it before me, let me know your opinion………..enjoy!