Creamy Orange Sherbet
Now that we have our ice cream maker, I want to delve into making homemade sherberts and orange is on top of my list as it will be paired up with our homemade vanilla ice cream. Speaking of which, today is National Creamsicle Day, you know those wonderfully refreshing desserts on a stick! I have always been a big fan of that combo and now I can create it at home. This recipe contains Grand Marnier, but of course that is optional if you have children at home, so just leave it out of the mixture. Last year, I posted a Dreamsicle Ice Cream Cake that is easy to put together if you have vanilla ice cream and orange sherbert hanging around in the freezer!
- 1 envelope unflavored gelatin
- ¼ cup cold water
- 2 cups milk
- 1-1/4 cups sugar
- ¼ teas salt
- 1-1/2 cups fresh squeezed orange juice
- Grated rind of 1 orange
- Juice of 2 lemons
- 2 tbsp Grand Marnier (optional)
- Sprinkle the gelatin over the cold water and let sit for 5 minutes.
- Meantime, heat the milk over low heat, add sugar and salt and stir to dissolve.
- Remove from heat and add the gelatin and stir to dissolve.
- Combine the juices and add the orange rind.
- Slowly add the milk mixture; stir in Grand Marnier.
- Continue according to your ice cream, manufactures' instructions.
- If you have no machine, pour mixture into a freezing tray, place in freezer and stir every half hour until mixture is frozen.
Hope you enjoy!