No Fuss Bread And Butter Pickles
This month is the kick-start of barbequing and Memorial Day is right around the corner. I am getting so antsy for my cucumbers to get big enough so I can start filling the freezer with dill pickles and my frig with these bread and butter pickles. As you already know, I am not a fan of canning but we sure do like the taste of homemade pickles to go with all the burgers and hot dogs we will be grilling up during the summer months. This recipe just calls for putting them in the frig without all the hassle of having sterile jars and the processing of them after you fill them. Last year we put many a container of dill pickles in the freezer thinking they would last but they disappeared quite quickly, so this year I will be prepared even if I have to buy a case of them from our local produce vendor.
- 1 dozen large pickling cucumbers (about 5")
- 2 large sweet onions (Vidalia for me)
- 4 cups sugar
- 4 cups cider vinegar
- ½ cup salt
- 1-1/4 teas ground turmeric
- 1-1/4 teas celery salt
- 1-1/4 teas mustard seeds
- Clean cukes and cut off ends; cut into ¼-inch slices.
- Chop onions and layer the cucumbers and onions in a gallon container.
- Combine the remaining ingredients in a saucepan and heat just to dissolve sugar.
- Let mixture cool and pour over cucumber slices.
- Cover and chill for at least 24 hours.
Hope you enjoy this no-hassle way of homemade pickles! By the way, I missed it but yesterday was International Pickle Day, a day late and a dollar short, that’s my motto. Don’t forget, today is National Pizza Party Day…….have fun!