Zucchini Crust Pizza Pie
First off today, I want to share a little weird thing that happened to us this weekend! As I was preparing this dish in the kitchen, something flashed by me in the kitchen but it happened so quick that I thought it might just be the brewsky talking, now I had had only one, trust me. My instincts were immediately confirmed when my daughter who was here for dinner that night, let out a HOLY S*!? followed by Husband with a What the Hell is that!
With beautiful weather that evening, we still had the back door cranked open letting the nice cool breeze inside (no screen door as dog went flying through it one day and bent it all to smithereens)! Low and behold, we had a bat fly into the house, can you believe that? In all my years of living here in the woods and seeing many a bat flying around gathering up those pesky and unwanted mosquitoes, this was something new for us and all I could remember from growing up was the fact that I was told by my grandma that bats like to get into your hair, CREEPY! Well, Kenny, my hero, shooed him out and 1cooking went back on the front burner so to speak!
Okay, now let’s go on to this fabulous tasting pie. I made what I thought to be a good size pie so Kenny and I could have some the next day for lunch, NOT! Nary a piece was left and now I’m gonna have to make another one just to make sure our taste buds were going in the right direction that night! All toppings are subject to your own personal preferences:
- For the crust:
- 2 cups shredded zucchini
- 2 eggs, beaten
- 1 cup shredded mozzarella cheese
- About 16 oz pizza sauce, store bought or homemade, I used homemade.
- Pick you favorites of meat, veggies and cheese, ours were, cooked and crumbled hamburger, chopped onions and green peppers and more mozzarella cheese and grated Parmesan.
- Squeeze out as much moisture as you can from the zucchini and mix in the beaten eggs. I also seasoned the zucchini with some extra Italian seasoning when I mixed it with the egg.
- Spread into a 9X13 inch rimmed cookie sheet; make sure to use a rimmed pan as more moisture will escape from the zucchini.
- Sprinkle with the 1 cup of shredded mozzarella and bake in a 400 degree oven for 10 minutes.
- Remove from oven and top with desired amount of pizza sauce, top with your favorite toppings and top with cheese.
- Bake on the lowest rack of your oven for about 30 minutes more or until cheese is melted and bubbly!
This week starts the changing of the guard, oops, I mean the decor which takes about 3 weeks as I am a fanatic, just ask my family! Can’t wait to have the house all decorated for the Christmas season! Hope you enjoy………………