Mexican Meatball Soup
Well, we’re at the beginning of another week and I hope everyone had a nice weekend. Got out our Christmas decorations this weekend and started to decorate (it takes about 2 weeks here at the hacienda)! I love crock-pot cooking during this time as I don’t have to spend too much time in the kitchen and have more time to do my decorating. This is a tasty soup and great for this time of year usually, as for us, we’re a bit too hot for soup as we are in the 80’s during the day. I like to put an apron on husband and let him loose in the kitchen so I have more time fussing with my Christmas decor, he’s a pretty good cook, so I’m very lucky!
- 1 lb lean ground beef
- 8 cups beef stock
- 4 tbsp flour
- 1 egg
- 1 red chili pepper, seeded and chopped fine (optional)
- 4 medium carrots, shredded
- ⅓ cup long grain rice
- ½ lb fresh spinach, shredded
- ½ teas oregano
- ¼ lb cooked ham, chopped
- 2-1/2 tbsp fresh chopped parsley
- Mix the beef with ½ cup of the stock, flour and eggs; form into small balls and set aside.
- Pour the remaining stock in your crock pot with the pepper, carrots and rice, cover and set on HIGH temperature.
- When stock mixture starts to simmer, add the meatballs, cover and cook for ½ hour.
- Reduce heat to LOW and cook for an additional 3 hours.
- Add the remaining ingredients, cover and cook for another 20 minutes.
- Serve with lemon wedges.
Sometimes I don’t have a red pepper in the house so I just substitute with a little red pepper and some cumin to taste. Serve with cornbread or tortilla chips…………..enjoy!