Found this in a Reader’s Digest book called “Kitchen Secrets” and I guess after hearing this week that we were going to have a shortage of bacon this winter, it triggered this recipe to the front of my brain, sometimes that happens! I did a little tweaking to suit our tastes and hope you enjoy! Per a spokesperson for Smithfield this morning on Fox News, there is not going to be a shortage but the price is going to increase for one of the most loved foods in our house, BACON! Well, that won’t deter us from enjoying our BLT’s!
- ½ lb bacon
- 1 onion, chopped
- 2 stalks celery, chopped
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 1 can (28 oz) whole tomatoes with juice
- 3 cups beef broth
- 2 teas dried basil
- 1 teas salt
- ½ teas sugar
- ¼ teas fresh ground black pepper
- 4 cups shredded romaine lettuce
- Slice bacon into ¼-inch pieces and cook in a large saucepan until crisp; transfer to paper towels to drain.
- Add onions, celery and garlic to the bacon drippings and saute over medium heat until tender.
- Stir in tomatoes with their juice, broth, basil, sugar and salt and pepper.
- Bring to a boil, reduce heat and simmer, covered for 25-30 minutes; set aside to cool.
- Working in batches, puree the mixture in a food processor until smooth.
- Return mixture to saucepan and cook over medium heat until heated through.
- Stir in shredded lettuce and cook until wilted.
- Ladle into soup bowls and garnish with bacon and croutons.
Just another way to enjoy bacon and a nice soup to enjoy during the cooler days ahead………….