Apple Sausage Sliders
With the Super Bowl clock ticking down, it’s time to start thinking about what to serve our guests and these tasty little bites are a great addition to your menu! You can even fry them up the day before and just warm up right before serving them by either putting them in a skillet on warm or (not my preference) nuke ’em. I was leery of making this whole recipe my way with the apples because of husband, not being too fond of applesauce or apples cooked into different dishes, but I said to hell with it, he’ll like it or there will be more for me to enjoy later on, NOT! He was sticking his nose up to the whole idea while I was preparing them and with the wonderful aroma filling the kitchen, he couldn’t wait for them to be done. The only disaster I had was the fact that I prepared some frozen yeast rolls that I guess I had too long in the freezer as they gave me a hard time rising and then turned out a little on the hockey puck side after baking them. So, if you buy frozen yeast rolls, beware of keeping them too long in the freezer! We also loved the contrast of the scallions and apples mixed with our homemade sausage and the use of my homemade cornbread crumbs in lieu of regular bread crumbs which was called for in the original recipe.
- ¾ lb bulk breakfast sausage
- 3 scallions with tops, bulb part sliced thin and the greens chopped into about ¼-inch slices
- 1 tbsp bacon fat or butter
- 4-6 tbsp dried corn bread crumbs
- 1 medium apple (I used Granny Smith), peeled, cored and grated medium
- 1 egg
- ¼ teas poultry seasoning
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Bacon fat or oil for frying patties
- Melt bacon fat over medium-low heat in a large skillet and saute the onion until the white part is soft.
- In a bowl, combine the scallions with the remaining ingredients and mix well.
- Shape mixture into patties on a floured surface according to the size of the buns being used.
- Add a little more bacon fat or oil to the skillet and fry patties over medium-low heat until lightly browned on both sides and well done.
By the way, only two small patties left-over and guess who had them for lunch today, yup you guessed it, HUSBAND! Hope you enjoy…………………..