Cheesy Spinach Pie With Hash Brown & Bacon Crust
Not long ago in our local paper, this dish appeared and it sounded so good, if I were to throw in a few additions of my own. We were going to have a ham steak and what better side dish could you have other than some homemade corn muffins? I have to argue with husband a little as he prefers canned spinach, like Popeye, and my preferences lean toward frozen which is better for you. Of course I did have to add, not necessarily good for you, we had to add some bacon to the mix because as you know, we love our BACON!
The original recipe called for cheesy hash brown potatoes, but I decided to add my own cheese atop the crust and onions and bacon were not added to theirs either. I mean how could they leave those two wonderful ingredients out of the mix, well not this old gal, I say bring it on!
- 4 strips of bacon
- ½ to ¾ cup of chopped onion
- 5 oz refrigerated hash browns or homemade fresh, divided
- ¾ cup shredded cheddar cheese or whatever cheese you prefer
- ¾ cup instant mashed potato flakes
- ¾ cup milk
- 2 large eggs at room temperature
- ½ cup grated Parmesan cheese
- Salt and pepper to taste
- 12 oz pkg frozen spinach, thawed and squeezed dry
- In a heavy skillet, cook the bacon until crisp; set on paper towels to drain.
- Drain skillet of all but 1 tablespoon of the bacon grease and saute onions until transparent in color; drain.
- Spray a 9-inch pie pan with cooking spray and using about 4 ounces of the hash browns, press over the bottom and up the sides of dish.
- Sprinkle bacon that has been broken up over the bottom and top with the cheddar cheese.
- Mix together the potato flakes with the milk, eggs, sauteed onions, salt, pepper and Parmesan cheese in a bowl; mix in the spinach.
- Spread evenly into the prepared hash browns.
- Sprinkle top with remaining hash browns.
- Bake in a 425 degree oven for 30-35 minutes or until potatoes are well browned and center is set.
- Let stand for 10 minutes before slicing.
Well it’s Saturday and I hope you have a nice rest of the weekend……….Enjoy!
And don’t forget to like us on Facebook or join our news letter to keep up with the latest recipes.