Heavenly Angel Food Cake
Busy day in the kitchen! Was out of spaghetti sauce and meatballs, ice cream, and to top it all off, Kenny has bugging me for an Angel Food Cake! So with the weather kind of yucky today, I decided to spend some time in the kitchen catching up. While I was making the cake, Kenny was making his vanilla ice cream and now I think I have a sugar overdose as I always have to lick my cake mixing bowl to the point that it really doesn’t need to be washed which of course I do!!! Then Husband and I always have to stick our fingers into the ice cream while it’s churning to see how it came out, double trouble today in the Selph’s kitchen, oh well! Angel Food cakes are not on my favorite list for baking as I find them a little time consuming and a bit fussy when it comes to putting them together. This recipe is by a lady named Julie Warner and all I did to alter it was to use all vanilla extract instead of the almond and vanilla extracts she used.
- 1-1/2 cups powdered sugar
- 1 cup of cake flour
- 1-1/2 cups egg whites (10 to 12 eggs depending on size of eggs)
- 1-1/2 teas cream of tarter
- 1 cup granulated sugar
- 2 teas vanilla extract or 1-1/2 teas of vanilla and ½ teas almond
- ¼ teas salt
- Move oven rack to the bottom position and preheat oven to 375 degrees.
- Combine the powdered sugar and flour and set aside.
- In a large bowl, beat egg whites and cream of tarter on medium speed until foamy; beat in the granulated sugar 1 teaspoon at a time on high speed, adding the extracts and salt with the last addition of sugar.
- Continue beating until stiff and glossy meringue forms; do not under beat.
- Sprinkle flour mixture, ¼ cup at a time, over the top of the egg white mixture and fold in just until flour disappears.
- Scrape batter into an ungreased angel food pan; cut through batter gently with a metal knife.
- Bake for 30 to 35 minutes until cracks feel dry and top springs back when lightly touched.
- Cool completely in pan on wire rack for 2 hours; loosen sides with a knife and remove from pan.
Can’t wait for cake and ice cream topped with strawberries for dessert tonight but maybe after today, I might save more sugar intake for tomorrow. Maybe add some chocolate chips to that dessert too as today is National Chocolate Chip Day, hubba hubba!!!!!