Shawnees Persimmon Bread
I bet everyone out there thought I died or something! As it turns out, I’m still alive but have been sick off and on with something husband started and then on top of that, all the Christmas decorating, 30+ boxes of stuff accumulated over the years! Even with husband here to help me now, it still takes a lot of time and energy to get it all done and Thanksgiving being so late this year didn’t help either. Granddaughter thinks I’m a little obsessive but I enjoy doing it (it’s like being a kid again playing with all my toys!), and I want to keep it up as long as God allows me to! My cooking has been on the slack side of things with all that’s going on and being sick, lots of quickie meals like burgers and soups! But today I had to start getting some of my baking done and this one was the first on my list of goodies to share with family and friends for Christmas……….
- 1-1/2 cups persimmon pulp
- 2 teas baking soda
- 1 cup brown sugar
- 1-1/2 cups white sugar
- 1 cup olive oil
- 4 eggs at room temperature
- 1-1/2 teas ground cinnamon
- ½ teas ground nutmeg
- ½ teas allspice
- 1-1/2 teas salt
- 3 cups flour
- 1 cup chopped walnuts or pecans which is my favorite
- Combine the persimmon pulp with the baking soda in a small bowl and let stand for 5 minutes to thicken the pulp.
- In another bowl, combine the sugar, oil, eggs, spices and salt; blend until smooth.
- Mix in the pulp and flour alternately into the sugar mixture.
- Fold in the nuts and pour into 3 greased 6X3 inch loaf pans, filling each ⅔ full.
- Bake in a 350 degree oven for 1 hour or until an inserted toothpick comes out clean.
- Cool in pans for ten minutes and remove to wire racks to cool completely.
- As you can see, I used individual loaf pans and the left over, I used in muffin pans. The muffins only took about 15 minutes to cook and the small loaves took about 25 minutes.
Hope to get back to posting more, but the last time I said that, I jinxed myself, so let’s hope that doesn’t happen again! Hope you’re all ready for Christmas, I have a couple of more things to pick up, God help me! Enjoy……..