Root Beer Float Cupcakes
When I was young, much, much younger, my aunt Shirley used to work at one of the old drive-in A&W’s up in Mahopac, New York and it was a frequent stop if we were going by and a real treat for me! Got some great food, root beer and a visit to see my aunt! The older I get, the more I miss the old days…….
This recipe hit me when I saw a recipe for ice cream muffins and all I could think of was cupcakes and root beer icing; it don’t get any better than that!!!! I was going to use Kenny’s homemade vanilla ice cream and figured if it came out bad and ugly, I’d be in trouble for wasting his precious night time snack, ha ha! In lieu of the homemade version, I bought some old fashioned vanilla ice cream made with eggs (didn’t even know they brought that back) and wasn’t disappointed although I think I could have used just a tad more ice cream as the batter was a little thicker than I would have liked but I was cooking 3 things at a time in the kitchen and just said, “Oh to hell with it, taste first and maybe next time!” This recipe I am about to give you only makes about 7 cupcakes so you need to adjust for your needs. The icing is also up to you and your favorite vanilla icing and just substituting the root beer concentrate for the vanilla. So with that, here is your very, very simple cupcakes:
- 1 cup self-rising flour
- 1 cup vanilla ice cream, melted (1 cup frozen will not yield 1 cup of softened so add a little extra and the next time, I will add a little more also)
- About 4 oz cream cheese, softened
- 2 tbsp unsalted butter, softened
- Confectioners sugar to thicken
- 1 teas root beer concentrate
- Mix together flour and ice cream until smooth.
- Fill paper lined cupcakes (about 7), ⅔ full.
- Bake in a 350 degree oven for about 18 to 20 minutes or until inserted toothpick comes out clean; let cool.
- Make your favorite vanilla icing by substituting the root beer concentrate for the vanilla or beat together the above ingredients and frost cooled cupcakes.
I hope you all have a great weekend, or what’s left of it as I go to mourn our Gators losing today in the Swamp and pop open a brewski to drown my sorrows!
P.S. As I sit here, I’m waiting for husband to put his fist through his computer as it is being very, very bad to him; off to the doctor for him and his puter on Monday………. Wish us luck!? Hope you enjoy!