Chocolate Crusted Peppermint Cheese Cake
First of all, let me wish you all a Happy New Year and hope everyone had a great Christmas! Christmas here was basically Sunday when all the kids came to celebrate and we got to spoil our great-grand kids. It has now taken me 3 days to recover as Ulric kept coming to Gram because I kept feeding him and consequently it was healthy food not JUNK food as all you’re devious minds might be thinking, ha ha! The reason for recovering was the fact that I kept picking him up and he is no light-weight by any means and Gram is not used to picking up about 25 pounds at a clip and he’s only 1 and 1/2 years old; gonna be a big guy like his daddy! Back pain out the ying yang this week but it was well worth the hurtin’….
Now let us get on with the cheese cake!
- 1-1/4 cups of crushed chocolate wafer cookies
- About 3 tbls softened butter
- 2 pkg 8 ounces of cream cheese plus 3 more ounces
- 1 cup sugar
- ¾ teas vanilla extract
- ½ teas peppermint extract
- 3 eggs
- 1 cup sour cream
- Red food coloring
- Generously grease an 8 inch spring-form pan with the butter and sprinkle with the crushed wafers; pressing crumbs into the bottom and sides of pan.
- Cream together the cream cheese and the sugar until light and fluffy; beat in extracts.
- Beat in the eggs, one at a time and finally fold in the sour cream.
- Pour into prepared pan and drizzle top with a little of the red food coloring.
- With a knife gently swirl food coloring around the batter being sure not to go through the crust.
- Bake in a 300 degree oven for about 1 hour.
- When cooled, top with crushed peppermint candy if desired.
All the men in the house said they were not that overly fond of peppermint, but the cheesecake sure was a hit!
Have a great New Year’s Eve, pray for our troops here and abroad who won’t be with family and friends, and for heaven’s sake have a designated driver if you’re gonna party hearty; we’ll probably be snug in our beds to bring in the new year, so we’ll not worry about getting home, ha ha! See ya all next year……til then, Ken and Regina wishing you all the best for the new year and always!