Cheddar Cheese And Veggie Cracker Spread
I’m starting today off with a quick tip that we read somewhere a long time ago and not sure if I shared it with you or not. As somewhat of a klutz in the kitchen at times, husband is always worried about me and once in awhile I have to admit he’s right! I bought a tea pot some time ago and the handle is not a solid part of the kettle, rather it goes from side to side allowing you to to lay it down while filling it with water. Kenny just showed me one the other day while we were shopping with a solid handle and told me he’d feel much better with me using it rather than the one I presently have. Now I’m not sure if he jinxed me or not, but last night while making my tea, the handle decided to swivel and some very hot water spilled all over my hand! Shouting out some expletives, Kenny came rushing to my aid telling me to get the flour from the frig and sit down with my hand stuck inside the bag, hence the tip for today. We always keep a resealable bag in the frig full of flour just for this purpose and I have to tell you, it’s the best damn thing for burns I have ever used! I stuck my hand in the bag for about 30 minutes (of course 10 minutes into the process I had to use the potty), and today other than a little pinkness, there is absolutely no soreness or blistering, PHEW!
Now onto today’s recipe. I have a baby shower coming up in a month for my granddaughter and tried this recipe to take along for the girls to munch on with some crackers. I had seen a recipe based on this idea and decided to change it around a little with the veggies I had in the frig, figuring husband and I could have it for lunch along with some ham or turkey on the side and we really enjoyed the crunchiness of the veggies with the cheese, especially today with the hot temps we were experiencing! Of course, you can use a mixture of veggies to your own liking!
- 8 oz cream cheese, room temperature
- 1 cup cheddar cheese, shredded fine
- ½ cup fresh broccoli, chopped fine
- ½ cup fresh cauliflower, chopped fine
- 2-3 large radishes, shredded
- 1 cup shredded carrots
- 1 teas dried minced onion (optional)
- Hot sauce to taste (also optional but we like a little kick and I used about 6 drops and it could have been more for us)
- Blend together the cheeses.
- Fold in the remaining ingredients and mix well.
- Cover and refrigerate for 2 hours or overnight to let flavors meld.
- Shape into a ball (not necessary if just munching at home) and serve with assorted crackers.