Egg Casserole With Grits And Cheese
I hope everyone had a wonderful Labor Day weekend and summer is now officially over, well for some, as we are still pretty hot! Yesterday we just pigged out all day, watched some TV and played on the computer as it was just the two of us here at the hacienda! Our cook-out consisted of chicken and Polish kielbasi with lots of marinated veggies cooked to perfection on the grill by my wonderful husband!
I was in charge of breakfast, sausage gravy over biscuits and that’s what brings me to this recipe, as September is All American Breakfast Month! As some of you know, Kenny and I are not big on eating when we get up in the morn and a lot of times our breakfast treats are usually eaten at lunch time or even dinner time. So with that, here’s another breakfast/lunch treat we enjoy that has some of our favorite ingredients, Canadian bacon, eggs, grits, and cheese!
- 1 cup regular cooking grits, not instant
- 2 tbsp milk
- 2 eggs, separated
- 2 teas baking powder
- ½ cup grated cheddar cheese
- 2 slices Canadian bacon, chopped
- Sea salt and freshly ground pepper to taste
- Cook grits according to package directions.
- When grits are done, stir in the milk and let cool slightly.
- Combine the egg yolks, baking powder, cheese, bacon and salt and pepper with the grits, mixing well.
- Beat egg whites until stiff peaks form and fold into grits mixture.
- Spoon mixture into a greased casserole dish and bake in a 325 degree oven for about 45 minutes.
Hope you enjoy!