Sweet And Zesty Carrot Sticks
I know I have been slacking off in the kitchen department lately and I do apologize! I have had a few things brewing up in this old noggin but have yet to put them to use. Hopefully this week will alter my absence and I will get back to getting something done even if it gets screwed up as I have done in the past so many times, ha ha!
With summer temperatures getting closer to us here in the South, I thought these might go great with a sandwich or even as a topper for a nice refreshing salad. These carrots have a delicate sweetness along with a bite from the horseradish that went very well for our taste buds; only thing is that the next time, I am going to add a little more horseradish to give them a little more zing. I sure wish I could have some of the fresh horseradish that my dad used to dig up on our property. After he dug it up, he and I, mostly he, would clean it and grate it for my mom to jar it up! I can still feel the tears rolling down my face from the pungent smell that can only be smelled when fixing it fresh out of the garden. My sister sent me some pieces to try and grow, but they didn’t like our soil or something, and didn’t do a thing but die, maybe I’ll try again!!! Another thing, with St. Patty’s Day next week, they are going to really compliment our corned beef sandwiches on the weekend………
- 2 large carrots, pared and cut into sticks
- ⅓ cup honey
- 2 tbsp butter
- 1-1/2 teas prepared mustard, maybe next time I'll use horseradish mustard for my extra kick
- 1 heaping teas horseradish
- Dash of sea salt
- Dash of white pepper
- Steam carrots to a crisp-tender stage; drain and reserve 1 tablespoon of the water.
- Combine the remaining ingredients along with the reserved water in a small saucepan and bring to a boil, stirring constantly.
- Place carrots in a small glass jar (I used a small pickle jar), and pour mixture over carrots.
- Let cool to room temperature, top with lid and let sit in the frig for a day before using so as to absorb the flavor.
I did get to make my egg rolls with the Chinese marinated pork loin and that night we gorged ourselves, my daughter eating 4 of those bad boys! Don’t think I’ll ever make them again unless I first cook off one of those pork loins…………um um GREAT!
Hope you enjoy and see ya real soon, God willing………..