If you’re having hot dogs and/or hamburgers on the grill this weekend, this is a wonderful dish to serve with them. We know we’re cooking out this weekend but not sure of just what we’ll be doing as yet, but husband did mention that Kielbasa sounded good and this salad would be de-lish with that too! We were asked to head over to Panama Beach to visit with Kenny’s son and family, however, we are not ones to travel very far on holiday weekends and even hate to head to town to deal with all the last minute shoppers so with that, we’ll just stay out in the woods where it’s quiet, lay out in the hammock and enjoy some good vittles on the grill and from our kitchen!
- 1 can (26 oz) sauerkraut, drained
- 1 cup celery, finely chopped
- ¾ cup sweet onion, finely chopped
- 1 carrot, grated fine
- 1 bell pepper, chopped small (you can use a mixture of green and red for this to make it more colorful)
- 1 cup sugar
- ½ cup vegetable oil
- ½ cup white vinegar
- 1 teas celery seeds (optional)
- Chop up the drained sauerkraut and combine with the remaining veggies in a bowl.
- In another bowl, combine sugar with the vinegar to dissolve and whisk in the oil; add celery seeds.
- Pour vinegar mixture over the veggies, cover and refrigerate several hours to meld flavors.
- When it's time to serve the salad, simply drain and serve either atop of the hot dogs or burgers or as a side dish.
This is also great with BBQ ribs or with some chopped ham added to it…………..enjoy and have a nice weekend!