Pasta For The Summer Heat
Well, I sure hope everyone had a great 4th of July as we did here! Kenny did two different kinds of beer can chickens on the grill along with fresh corn on the cob. I on the other hand, took care of corn bread, deviled eggs that I tried to make red white and blue and came out like Christmas eggs instead, you know red, green and white, and then this pasta salad that we tried for the first time since we tasted it in our local Publix Supermarket and WOW!
Now I do have to say that their version came out a little better than mine, maybe due to my adding the asiago cheese in place of some of the mozzarella, however, everyone had seconds except for our granddaughter who is a little on the picky side, you know teens these days! Oh well, she’ll grow out of that someday just like I did…. What little was left, my daughter took home for a meal the next day so mom and dad wouldn’t have too many left overs in the frig, ha ha! I also used the tri-colored rotini in lieu of the plain pasta. So with that, I give you a super summer salad that really goes great on a hot summer day with just about anything………..
- 3 cups of cantaloupe cut in bite size chunks, honeydew if you prefer or a mixture of both
- 1 ripe avocado, I used the green versus the Hass, chopped in bite size pieces
- 8 oz of tri-colored rotini or regular
- ⅓ cup lemon vinaigrette
- ½ teas Kosher salt or sea salt
- 1-1/2 cups grated mozzarella cheese
- ½ cup grated Asiago cheese or omit Asiago and use all mozzarella
- ⅓ cup fresh basil coarsely chopped
- Cook pasta according to package directions, drain and place in the frig to cool.
- Combine the melon, avocado, vinaigrette and salt in a bowl, stirring gently to mix.
- Stir pasta and cheese together into the melon mixture and sprinkle with the basil; chill well to meld the flavors.
Gotta get Husband working on a post to show you our new kitchen counters; therrrrrrrrrrrrre GREAT as Tony the Tiger used to say! Hope you enjoy……..