Steamed Cole Slaw Au Gratin
This might not be what your thinking it is! I had some cabbage that I needed to use up and I have seen many recipe for casseroles that include cabbage and cheese and I didn’t want to turn on the oven as it was so gosh darn hot. So I took the veggies that I would use to make cole slaw, steamed them off and mixed them with a cheesy white sauce and we loved it! It’s a no-brainer recipe that is so simple but very tasty and you can mix and match other vegetables to your liking. The same goes for the cheese, as you can use any cheese that tickles your fancy but we really enjoyed the taste of the Swiss with the cabbage!
A funny little story about the cheese sauce. Before I added the veggies, husband came into the kitchen and stuck his finger in the sauce that had cooled of a little so it had thickened up quite a bit, and he said, good mashed potatoes! I burst into laughter as I told him he was cut off for the rest of the night and then proceeded to tell him that it was cheese sauce NOT mashed potatoes. Must have been one of those senior moments I guess!!!!!
- 2 cups shredded cabbage
- ¾ cup coarsely shredded carrots
- ½ cup chopped onion
- 2 tbsp butter
- 3 tbsp flour
- 1 teas dry mustard
- Salt and pepper to taste
- 1 cup milk
- 1 cup shredded Swiss cheese (or cheese of your liking)
- Steam cabbage, carrots and onion until crisp-tender; drain and keep warm.
- Melt butter in a medium saucepan, whisk in the flour, dry mustard, salt and pepper.
- Slowly whisk in the milk and cook over low heat until thickened, stirring constantly; stir in the grated cheese.
- Add veggies to the sauce to reheat and serve.
This dish is an excellent compliment with a nice ham steak or pork chops on the grill or fried! Hope you enjoy…………..
Oops! I forgot to say that you can always fry up some bacon and sprinkle it over the top!!!