Fresh Blueberry And Blackberry Freezer Jelly
As some of you know, I am not one for canning; if I can’t throw it in the freezer someone else can do the work! Making jelly is something my mom and sisters both have always done and I can remember my mom making fresh currant jelly when I was growing up as we had currant bushes on our property. Grape jelly was also on her list every summer with white and red concord grapes growing abundantly, of course she had to beat my grandpa to them before it was time for him to make his homemade wine! I was so disappointed with the berries here this year as the blackberries who bloomed beautifully, just fizzled out when it came time to develop. The blue berries did a little better but I still had to buy berries to make my jelly. I used 2 different recipes to get this to my satisfaction, one from the fruit pectin box and the other from a Taste of Home cookbook from 2000. It’s a nice quick and easy recipe where the most time spent was getting the blueberries crushed as I did use some from our property, seeds and all!
- 3 cups fresh blueberries
- 2 cups fresh blackberries
- 2-1/2 cups sugar
- 1 to 2 tbls fresh lemon juice (I only used 1 and probably could have used a little more)
- ¾ cup water
- 1 pkg (1.75 oz) powdered fruit pectin
- In a large bowl, crush the blueberries (it is not recommended to use a food processor for this and the next step).
- Add the blackberries and crush.
- Mix in the sugar and lemon juice until well blended.
- Combine the water and pectin in a small saucepan, bring to a boil and cook for 1 minute, stirring constantly.
- Add to the fruit mixture and stir for 3 minutes to combine.
- Pour into freezer containers and cool to room temperature.
- Cover and let stand for about 12 hours but do not exceed 24 hours.
- Refrigerate or freeze.
Great for peanut butter and jelly sandwiches for the kids out of school or a great topping for waffles, pancakes or toast in the morning. And then there’s my all time favorite since I was a little kid visiting with my Nanny, saltines topped with jelly……………Enjoy!