Apple Flavored Rice
Last night I was planning on pork chops and wanted something different for a side rather than potatoes. A recipe I had come across a long time ago talked about combining rice with apples and as I had just bought some Granny Smiths, I knew I had to make a version of my own to try. I was a little skeptical, not on my part, but husband is not an apple sauce lover like I am and I was a little afraid he would not like the combo. Well, it was a hit and complimented the pork chops wonderfully, of course I still had to have apple sauce to boot and Kenny even stole some of mine! I just know this would be great with any kind of pork or ham and so perfect when apples are in season………..
- 1-1/3 cups water
- 1 cup apple juice
- ½ teas salt
- 1 tbsp butter
- 1 cup long grain white rice
- 1 cup peeled and chopped Granny Smith apples
- Generous dash of both nutmeg and cinnamon
- Combine the water, apple juice, butter and salt in a saucepan and bring to a boil.
- Stir in the rice, apples and spices.
- Reduce heat, cover and simmer for 20 to 25 minutes or until water is absorbed and rice is tender.
If your an apple lover, I promise your gonna love this one as much as we did………….enjoy!