It’s me again! It has been so damn HOT that I have not been in the mood to cook or even eat for that matter! Every day it’s been just a simple salad or a sandwich to ward off the heat. It has been over 100 degrees every afternoon in the shade for weeks now and I am not looking forward to the rest of July or even August for that matter! Moving to ALASKA!
I do hope everyone had a great 4th of July just as Kenny and I did; nice and quiet with just the two of us. We did manage to cook some steaks on the grill and again a cold salad with garlic bread to sop up the steak juices, well, for me that is as I like my steaks on the mooing side and Husband likes his deader than a door nail, ha ha! But one last story about our blueberries before I get into this recipe. The other morning while waiting for our newspaper to come, I noticed our neighbors chickens in our front yard by the blueberry bushes. Next thing I see is the two of them hovering around them and then jumping up and down. They were getting the ripe berries that I hadn’t picked yet off the bushes, cleaning off the bottom first and when none were left there, jumping up to get the ones left up higher. I’ll tell ya, between ourselves, our dog and the chicks, we have had an entertaining year as far as the berries go…………..
I saw this recipe on the internet (don’t know who it was by, sorry) and I said, whoa, where’s the almonds? I have always been a sucker for Almond Joys and Mounds Bars but given my preference, I want ALMONDS! The other thing that caught my eye was the fact that they used honey instead of sugar which was for sure a plus for me as Kenny and I both seem to be putting on a little extra weight and we are not happy campers, no siree!! Another factor was the chocolate and after I put the coconut part together, the honey just didn’t have enough sweetness to it so I added some semi-sweet chocolate to the dark and it went well, along with the chopped almonds that the original recipe did not have………….
- 2 cups unsweetened coconut flakes
- ⅓ cup honey, I used local not store bought and that could be the reason it wasn't that sweet
- ¾ cup coconut oil
- 1 cup chopped almonds plus almond halves for topping
- ½ cup dark bitter sweet chocolate
- ½ cup semi-sweet chocolate morsels
- 2 tbsp milk
- Combine the coconut flakes, honey, coconut oil and chopped almonds together and mix well; spread into a 9 X 5 inch dish.
- Melt the chocolates together with the milk in a double boiler over boiling water, yes I'm still old fashioned!
- Pour the warm chocolate mixture over the top of the coconut mixture and spread to cover.
- Top with almond halves and let sit to cool or cover and place in frig until time to enjoy, letting pieces come to room temperature before eating!!
I shared them almond joyous’ with the family and everyone loved them, including Husband and myselph!
Will make these again and can’t wait for Christmas to put another twist on them with………….. Hope you enjoy, see ya soon!