Taco Chicken Wings My Way
I have been craving chix wings all week and last night it was time! My wings are a little different as I like to fry them a bit first and then finish them off in the oven. Another difference is that I like to marinate them for about an hour in hot sauce before I start the breading process. I also like to make enough so I can munch on them the next day, but that didn’t happen as the platter was empty by the end of our meal……… I have not used packaged taco seasoning in years and listed the ingredients in this recipe which is equal to one package of the store bought brands. The taste factor and the price is well worth the effort (which is minimal) and most of the ingredients are probably lurking in your spice cabinet as we speak. So let’s get crunching and munching!
- 10 chicken wings, tips removed and halved
- Hot sauce
- 1 cup flour for dredging, saving left-over flour
- Left-over flour plus enough to make ¾ cup
- ½ cup corn meal, yellow or white
- 1 large egg slightly beaten with a little milk
- Taco seasoning mixture:
- 1 tbls chili powder
- 1 teas coarse salt
- ½ teas dried minced onion
- ½ teas paprika
- ¼ teas onion powder
- Generous dash of garlic
- Generous dash of cumin
- Oil for frying
- Generously coat chicken wings with hot sauce, place in a resealable plastic bag; let sit in the frig for about an hour turning occasionally.
- Remove wings from bag, shaking off excess sauce and dredge with flour.
- Add enough extra flour to make ¾ of a cup; mix in corn meal and all the seasonings.
- Place egg mixture in a shallow dish and dip dredged wings to moisten and then into the flour mixture to coat well.
- Fry wings in oil on both sides until lightly browned.
- Transfer to a baking dish that has been lightly coated with cooking spray and bake in a 350 degree oven until done, turning occasionally, for about 30 to 45 minutes depending on size of wings.
We enjoyed some corn chips with pimento cheese spread, celery of course and ranch dressing and taco sauce for Kenny to do his dipping thing in. As for me, just give me plain ole wings! Don’t forget to pop open a couple of Corona’s and enjoy………… Have a great weekend and see ya next week!