Brussels Sprouts With Creamy Bacon Onion & Celery Sauce
- 4 slices of bacon
- 2 quarts Brussels sprouts
- 2-1/4 cups of water
- 1 teas salt
- ¾ cup diced onion
- ¾ cup diced celery
- 4 tbsp butter
- 2 tbsp bacon grease
- 6 tbsp flour
- ½ teas white pepper
- Cook bacon until crisp, drain and crumble, reserving 2 tablespoons of the drippings.
- Trim off bottom of Brussels sprouts and remove any discolored leaves; cut x in stem part for more even cooking.
- Steam sprouts until desired tenderness, drain and set aside.
- Add the salt to the 2-1/4 cups water, bring to a boil and add the celery and onions, cook until tender, drain and reserve water.
- Melt the butter with the bacon drippings and blend in the flour.
- Combine the celery water with enough milk to measure 3 cups and slowly add to the flour mixture.
- Cook until smooth and thick, stirring constantly.
- Add the celery, onion, bacon, pepper and Brussels sprouts and continue to heat for a few minutes to reheat the veggies.
Recipe by Cooking With Mama at http://cooking-with-mama.com/2015/04/21/brussels-sprouts-with-creamy-bacon-onion-celery-sauce/