Deep Fried Ricotta Puppies
The original recipe for these was actually a dessert and I wanted to try to alter them to more of a side dish for something in the Italian nature as a compliment to spaghetti and meatballs or even lasagna. However, as my first try at these, I just had some zucchini sticks and some meatballs which I will post at another time.
I did luck out on getting an opinion other than Husband’s which made me feel pretty good! My neighbor was returning our tractor after dinner and I asked him if he liked ricotta cheese and it was a two thumbs up, so I took out some of these for him to try with some sauce I had made to dip them in, don’t think I took enough!!!
He said he loved them and that they were awesome, confirming husband who hardly ever dislikes something I make, God bless him………….Somebody’s got to! So with my husband being blessed, let’s continue with the recipe!
- 1 cup ricotta cheese
- 3 eggs
- 1 cup flour
- ¼ cup parmesan cheese
- 4 teas baking powder
- ¼ teas dried basil
- ½ teas dried oregano
- 1 teas dried parsley
- ½ teas garlic powder
- ¼ teas salt
- Combine the ricotta cheese and eggs in a large bowl.
- In another bowl, combine the flour with the remaining ingredients.
- Add flour mixture to the ricotta cheese mixture and beat until smooth.
- Have deep fryer heated to 360 degrees.
- Drop by rounded teaspoonfuls into hot oil a few at a time, being careful not to overcrowd them.
- Cook until golden brown, turning after about 1-2 minutes to brown evenly.
- Remove with a slotted spoon to paper towels to drain and keep warm in a 200 degree oven.
- Continue until all are cooked.
- You may cook these ahead of time and let cool instead of keeping warm in the oven, then place them in a resealable plastic bag and refrigerate.
- To reheat, place puppies on a baking sheet and bake in a 350 degree oven for about 10 minutes, turning half way through the cooking time.
For dipping, have your favorite spaghetti or marinara sauce that’s been heated and enjoy!
P.S. Kenny here….Wife is a damn good cook….don’t let her fool ya!!!!