Apple Walnut Bread
With husband’s weight loss lately, I am trying to fatten him up a little by adding some healthy foods to his morning routine. With one of his pills, he has to eat and we are not early breakfast eaters; breakfast here is usually at noon! But, times change and so do our bodies, therefore, do what we have to and live with it!!!! I saved this recipe out of a newspaper by a Suzanne Beane up in Waterville, Maine and with a couple of changes and additions, Husband was very happy to enjoy this with his morning coffee and now has me munching along with him! I’ve got news for him though, if I start packing on the pounds, he’ll be alone in his new regiment, ha ha! I have always tried to eat healthy as often as possible (we all need to go off the beaten track once in awhile like with bacon, oh HELL YES!); but we eat our fair share of veggies, fruit and meat, OK.
The doctor tried to tell us that we need to stop consuming so much salt and stop eating out, WHAT? I use as little salt as possible, natural pink sea salt is one of the only things we use to salt our food, eat out – maybe once or twice a month at restaurants where they do home cooking and we make most of our food at home from scratch, so what’s he talking about???? So without ranting any more, here is a recipe that is as good as the homemade banana nut bread we enjoy so much………
- 1 cup sugar
- 2 eggs
- 4-1/2 teas evaporated milk
- ½ cup vegetable oil
- 2 cup flour
- 1 teas baking soda
- ½ teas salt
- 1 teas cinnamon
- Generous dash of nutmeg
- 1 cup Granny Smith apples chopped with peels left on
- 1 cup chopped walnuts (pecans would also be good)
- Combine sugar, eggs, milk and oil; beat until well incorporated.
- Add flour, baking soda, salt, cinnamon and nutmeg and mix well.
- Stir in the chopped apples and nuts.
- Turn into a greased loaf pan and bake in a 350 degree oven for about 1 hour or until toothpick inserted into the center comes out clean.
- Let cool in pan for 10 minutes and transfer to rack to cool completely or just dive right in!
Hope you enjoy as much as we do…………Well tomorrow with the game of the year, Kenny and I will be celebrating with our Poo Poo Platter with all those bad cold cuts, cheese Go Patriots and show them you can win without deflated balls; or should I say, pump up them balls and go out there like real men do and win that Super Bowl!!!!!!!!
And don’t forget to like us on Facebook or join our news letter to keep up with the latest recipes.