Tantalizing Ground Beef Pocket Sandwiches
Always scrounging around for old cookbooks when I’m at the flea market or in my favorite thrift stores, I love to find books that have hand written recipes in them! The other day, this recipe was stashed inside a book dated from 1978 and was called Medley of Meats. I would love to know some of the history that is behind this beautifully hand written recipe and who was the one who owned the book before me. I would also love for them to know that I will cherish their recipes and let them live on in my own collection and kitchen!
Normally, lunch around here is to eat some left-overs or grab a quick sandwich, something quick and easy. Wanting to try this recipe, I spent more time than usual preparing lunch and husband came in to tell me I was getting carried away over lunch, that is, until he took the first bite. Needless to say these babies are husband tested and approved. Of course I did have to add one little extra ingredient which would be the bell pepper.
- 1 lb ground beef
- ¼ cup chopped onions
- ¼ cup chopped bell peppers
- ½ teas salt
- ¼ teas garlic powder
- ½ cup ketchup (person who wrote recipe spelled ketchup, catsup, the old version)
- ¼ cup sour cream
- 1 can (10 oz) biscuits (original recipe calls for Hungry Jack biscuits and I wonder if it was a recipe on the can and she copied it down)
- Brown meat, onions and bell pepper; drain.
- Add salt, garlic, ketchup and sour cream; mix.
- Separate dough into 10 biscuits and roll out into 4X4 inch squares (I just rolled them into circles).
- Place a ¼ cup of the meat mixture in the center of each biscuit; fold over and seal edges with a fork.
- Cut 3 slits, ½ inch each, in the top of each sandwich.
- Bake in a 375 degree oven for 15 to 20 minutes.
- Brush with melted butter and serve.
Kenny thought that I had used my sloppy joe recipe for the filling as it tasted very similar. So maybe the next time I make my sloppy joes, I’ll use that recipe for the filling. However, this is a very simple way to make a very tasty lunch, just ask Kenny! Well for not being here much this week except for today, I’m now officially out of here to enjoy the rest of the weekend, hope you do the same……………Enjoy!