Fried Fresh Tilapia Filets
I think this is going to be a seafood eating week here at the Selph’s home! Our local Publix had talipia on sale and it was so fresh looking I just had to buy some to fry at home as we did not get to our favorite restaurant where they serve it with the most amazing hush puppies you ever had pass your lips. I am still trying to recreate them here at home and getting closer to the flavor, but no cigar yet! And this week, all our stores have lobster tails on sale for that special Valentine dinner you might be preparing at home, and you know who helps me shop now that he’s retired! His idea is to have steak and lobster with a bottle of vino tomorrow night and no, I’m not complaining or anything like that, think it’s kinda cute, just not used to someone else planning meals! It’s nice to have company when I go shopping but, he wants to try everything new that comes out, sometimes it’s good and sometimes it’s just plain horrid and gets fed to the cats; did you know cats will eat almost anything, well at least mine do! This recipe is just a simple way to fix delicious home fried fish, just don’t forget the lemon………..
- 2 lbs fresh talipia filets
- 1-1/2 cups white or yellow corn meal
- 2-1/2 cups flour
- ½ cup grated Parmesan cheese
- Old Bay seasoning to taste (I use about 1 teaspoon)
- Salt and white pepper to taste
- 1 egg beaten well
- ¼ cup milk
- Combine the dry ingredients in a shallow dish and the egg and milk in a separate shallow dish.
- Dip fish into the egg mixture and then into the dry ingredients, pressing fish to coat well.
- Deep fry or pan fry in oil heated to 375 degrees, turning to brown on both sides.
- Fish will be done when the meat flakes easily with a fork and time will depend on the thickness of the fish filets.
- Drain on paper towels and serve with lotsa lemon wedges, homemade coleslaw and hush puppies.
Hope you enjoy!