Fried Oatmeal Slices
Breakfast month is still with us and this is a nice, come home from church on Sunday dish that you basically fix the day before. I also like the fact that you can use bacon of any kind, sausage or ham for the filler. We love our fried grits with chopped ham here and this is a similar recipe, as you need it to sit in the frig overnight just like the grits, so it has the right consistency for slicing and frying. You can also use quick or old-fashioned oats, whatever might be in you kitchen cabinet!
- 2 cups oatmeal (quick or regular) uncooked
- 1 teas salt
- 3-1/2 cups water
- ¾ cup cooked crumbled sausage or bacon (drained well) or ¾ cup chopped ham
- Bring water and salt to a boil and stir in oats and reduce heat.
- If you're cooking quick oats, cook for 1 minute; regular oats cook for 5 minutes.
- Cover pan after cooking time, remove from heat and let stand for 5 minutes.
- Stir in the meat of your choice and transfer to an ungreased loaf pan, smoothing the top with a spatula.
- Cover and place in the frig until well chilled, preferably overnight.
- To fry, cut loaf into ½ inch slices and fry in melted butter until nicely browned on both sides, about 10 minutes each side.
- Serve with butter and your favorite syrup.
A basically no-fuss healthy or almost healthy breakfast…………..enjoy!