Smokey Orange Flavored Turkey
We don’t smoke on the grill too often any more as it’s just the two of us, but this is a great way to whoop up a turkey without heating up the kitchen during the summer season. This month is National Turkey Lovers Month and turkey is one of my all time favorite meats. When I cook up a turkey, I probably eat 75% of that baby myself and always amazing husband how I can eat it day after day. I really don’t understand why June would be dedicated to turkey lovers as November would be much more reasonable in my mind. So here we go on a Monday!
- 1 small turkey, (8-10 lbs)
- 2 navel oranges, cut in half
- 1 teas poultry seasoning
- 1 medium sweet onion, quartered
- 2 celery ribs, cut in chunks
- Have turkey thawed and remove the neck and giblets; rinse and pat dry.
- While the grill is getting prepped for smoking, rub turkey with 2 of the orange halves and sprinkle poultry season inside and outside of the bird.
- Place the oranges, onion and celery inside the turkey.
- Secure the neck skin to the bottom of the bird with poultry pins, bring wings up over the breast and tie with kitchen string.
- Tie legs together and tie to the tail.
- To smoke, follow manufacturers' for you smoker being sure to add more hickory chips as needed and more charcoal to keep an even temperature.
- Let turkey stand for 20 minutes before carving.
Well folks, I’m out of here to get ready for company tomorrow………….enjoy!