Beef Brisket Cowboy Style
Wow, all messed up today as we had a nice long weekend! Hope everyone had a great holiday and lots of good food. Kenny and I pigged out on BBQ ribs and all the trimmings including a few brews. I don’t know if any of you out there read the comics in the newspaper, but yesterday’s Hi & Lois was so adorable. It reminded me of being in the kitchen and Kenny out at the grill and it just tickled my funny bone, thanks Brian and Greg Walker for another great comic! Of course, he helps in the kitchen too and sometimes a little too much so, if you get my drift, oh I’m in trouble now! Well let me continue with this recipe as today is National Brisket Day.
Hi and Lois Cartoon from 5/27/2013 by Brian and Greg Walker
- 4 lb beef brisket
- 1 medium sweet onion, sliced
- 4 cloves of garlic, minced
- 1 bay leaf
- 6 peppercorns
- 2 whole allspice
- 1 teas mustard seed
- 2 bottles (12 oz each) beer, not lite and preferably a dark ale
- Salt to taste
- 1 can (6 oz) tomato paste
- Place meat in a deep roasting pan ( I use a Dutch oven) and add the onions, garlic and spices and top it off with the beer.
- Cover tightly and refrigerate for a minimum of 24 hours and up to 2 days to absorb the spices.
- Remove the meat and pat dry, reserving the marinade in another container.
- Sprinkle meat with salt and brown meat in a little olive oil in a Dutch oven and add the reserved marinade to the pot.
- Heat to boiling, cover, reduce heat and simmer until meat is tender, about 2 hours.
- Remove meat from pan, strain liquid and return to pan.
- Bring liquid to a boil and cook on high until liquid is reduced to half; add tomato paste and heat.
- Serve tomato mixture with the slices of brisket.
Hope you enjoy!