Berry Tasty Pork Chops
This month is Cranberry Month, and for the life of me I have no idea why! I could understand this falling in November when everyone is gearing up for the big turkey feast, but not April. Back in December of 2011, I posted a cranberry pork roast that you cook in your crock pot and we really enjoy the combo of the pork with the sweetness of the cranberries! It’s kind of funny as this weekend, I cooked off a turkey breast and when I went to make myself a big fat turkey sandwich for lunch today, I realized I never opened a can of cranberry sauce to go with the turkey, senility strikes but yet again! Of course husband never mentioned it as he is not the cranberry lover that I am!
- 8 center cut pork chops, about ¾" thick
- 2 tbsp shortening
- Salt and pepper to taste
- 1 can (16 oz) cranberry sauce, jellied or whole berry
- ½ cup BBQ sauce
- ¼ cup water
- 2 tbsp cornstarch
- ¼ cup cold water
- In a large skillet, brown the chops in the shortening on both sides; drain fat.
- Salt and pepper chops to taste.
- Combine the cranberry sauce, BBQ sauce and ¼ cup of water; pour over chops.
- Cover and simmer until the chops are tender, about 45 minutes.
- Remove chops from skillet and keep warm.
- Combine the cornstarch with the cold water and stir into cranberry mixture.
- Cook and stir until mixture is piping hot and bubbling.
- Serve as a gravy with the chops.
By the way, today is also Jelly Bean Day, and I did a little story last year about them…………Enjoy!