Today folks is Turkey Neck Soup Day and I’m sorry but I’m not touching that one! When I cook a turkey, I boil my neck bone up to feed to the chickens and the cats and they love it. Tomorrow of course is Easter Sunday and it’s also National Clams On The Half Shell Day, Oranges & Lemons Day and my favorite besides Easter, Tater Day and hence this recipe! As I said the other day, Kenny and I already celebrated Easter this week and tomorrow will be steaks on the grill (it’s gonna be in the 80’s here), along with some beans and potatoes with some garlic bread! I hope whatever you are having or celebrating tomorrow, you have a great meal!
- 6 large red potatoes, pared and sliced thin
- 3 medium carrots, pared and grated medium
- 4 medium tomatoes, chopped coarsely
- 2 medium sweet onions, chopped fine
- 2 medium bell peppers, sliced thin
- 2 cloves of garlic, minced
- 3 tbsp fresh parsley, chopped
- 1-1/2 teas salt
- ½ teas white pepper
- ½ teas dried basil
- 2 cups water
- ¼ cup olive oil
- Place the potatoes in a shallow baking dish that has been sprayed with cooking oil.
- Combine the carrots, with the next eight ingredients and evenly spread over the potatoes; add water and bake in a 375 degree oven for 45 minutes.
- Sprinkle top with the olive oil and continue to bake for 15 minutes longer.
- Let cool and chill before serving into squares.
I personally like this one served hot instead of cold and goes great with any type of meat……..enjoy! I hope all our Jewish friends out there had a wonderful Passover this week and all of our fellow Christians out there have a very Happy Easter tomorrow!