Cornmeal Pancakes With Blueberries
Tomorrow kicks off National Pancake Week and it looks like I’ll be doing a lot of this type of cooking for a few days, as my 1978 wall oven decided to go on the fritz. Having a pizza the other night and couldn’t figure out why the cheese wasn’t melting after the allotted amount of time. Lo and behold, the light was on but there was no heat so off goes the breaker and had to continue cooking in a large cast iron skillet. Being sickly, husband has yet to take it apart to find the culprit lurking in the control knobs. Just hope we can get it fixed instead of having to buy a new one! So like I said, stove top and grill will be getting a lot of use until the old Magic Chef gets some new parts or goes to the grave for ovens!
- 1-1/4 cups flour
- 1-1/2 teas baking powder
- ¼ cup sugar
- ½ teas baking soda
- ½ teas salt
- 1 cup yellow cornmeal
- 2 cups buttermilk
- 3 egg yolks
- 3 tbsp butter, melted
- 3 egg whites beaten stiff but not dry
- 1 cup blueberries
- Sift together the dry ingredients into a large bowl.
- Combine the buttermilk, egg yolks and butter in another bowl; add mixture to the dry ingredients and stir.
- Fold in the egg whites.
- Pour batter onto a hot griddle in desired amounts and sprinkle with some blueberries.
- Cook until bubbles appear, turn and cook until the under side is golden brown.
This is Berry Fresh In The Sunshine State Month and I just posted another blueberry pancake recipe that is also very good if you’re not into the corn meal version, (Special Blueberry Pancakes, January 28th), can you tell we love blueberries? Enjoy…………………