Chocolate Cream Cheese Cake
Sunday is National Chocolate Cake Day and I love this recipe because part of the cake mix is also the icing, so you make the icing while you make the cake batter, how simple is that! Of course, cream cheese added to the cake always tends to make for a moist cake. I thought I’d put this recipe in a couple of days in advance so you can get the ingredients that you’ll need and have your cake all ready for dessert after your nice Sunday dinner!
- 1 pkg (8 oz) softened cream cheese
- 2 boxes (16 oz each) 10X powdered sugar
- 1 teas vanilla
- ½ cup butter, softened
- 5 squares unsweetened chocolate, melted
- ½ cup milk, at room temperature
- 2-1/2 cups flour
- ⅓ cup butter, softened
- 4 eggs
- 1-1/2 cups milk
- Pinch of salt
- 1 teas baking powder
- 1 teas baking soda
- Combine the cream cheese with the next 5 ingredients and beat until light and fluffy.
- Divide the mixture in half, reserving one half for the icing.
- To the other half, add the remaining ingredients and mix well.
- Pour batter into 2, 9-inch round cake pans that have been greased and floured.
- Bake in a 350 degree oven for 30-40 minutes or until cake tests done.
- Cool on wire racks for 10 minutes, remove from pans and let cool completely before icing.
- Frost with the reserved cream cheese mixture.