Italian Lentil Soup
Tomorrow is National Bean Day and I guess that would include any type of bean so I choose lentils. Since this afternoon is another damp and cloudy day, a nice bowl of homemade soup seems like a good thing to curl up with and chase away the inside chill that seems to have taken over these old bones. This soup has one of husband’s favorite ingredients, pepperoni! Whenever I make homemade pizza, I have to completely cover the top half of his with pepperoni while I on the other hand smother mine with chopped onions and peppers, much more healthy on my half!
- 1-1/2 dry lentil beans
- 4 oz thin sliced pepperoni, cut in bite size pieces
- ½ cup chopped onion
- 1 large garlic clove, minced
- 1 can (6 oz) tomato paste
- 1-1/2 teas salt
- ¼ teas dried oregano, crushed
- ¼ teas ground sage
- ⅛ teas red pepper
- 3 large Roma tomatoes, peeled and chopped
- ½ cup thinly sliced carrots
- ½ cup sliced celery
- Rinse beans and combine in a Dutch oven with 6 cups of water, the pepperoni, onion, tomato paste and spices.
- Bring to a boil, reduce heat, cover and simmer for 30 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Add the remaining ingredients, cover and simmer for another 40 minutes or until beans and veggies are tender.
Serve up with some homemade garlic bread or some garlic bagel chips, top off with some grated Parmesan cheese and enjoy……….