Kenny and I love our stewed tomatoes over rice, so why not put the tomato flavor into the rice when you’re cooking it. This is a wonderful recipe to accompany a ham dinner or even pork chops and not TOO bad on the waistline either as we’re all trying to cut back at this time of year! This recipe also contains our beloved bacon which you could substitute with turkey bacon if you really want to cut back on the fat content.
- 6 strips of bacon
- 1 medium sweet onion, chopped fine
- 1 medium bell pepper, chopped fine
- 1 can (6 oz) tomato paste
- 1-1/2 to 2 tomato paste cans of water
- 2 teas salt
- 2-3 teas sugar (optional but it does give it more of the stewed tomato taste)
- ⅛ teas fresh ground pepper
- 1-1/2 cups long grain rice
- 4 tbsp bacon grease
- Fry bacon and drain on paper towels.
- Add onions and peppers to the bacon fat and saute until tender.
- Add the tomato paste, water and spices; cook uncovered slowly until the mixture measures 2 cups, about 10 minutes.
- Combine mixture with the rice and extra bacon grease into the top of a double boiler.
- Cover and steam over simmering water for ½ hour.
- Crumble cooked bacon and add to rice mixture and cook for 30 to 45 minutes more or until liquid is absorbed and rice is tender.
Bring on the ham……………….enjoy!