Grits And Spinach Casserole
Well I guess I’m on a starch day today with grits and rice in my recipes, but we are adding veggies too, does that count? Grits are a staple in our home as we love them with our eggs or even fried. I know a lot of people who have had grits up north and they like to stick their noses up at us who live in the south, but trust me, if you’ve had real grits cooked the correct way, you’d love them!
- 2 boxes frozen chopped spinach
- 1 cup grits, not instant
- ½ cup butter
- 3 tbsp mayonnaise
- 10 oz sharp cheddar cheese, shredded and divided (I use Vermont white)
- 2 eggs, well beaten
- 2 cups crushed Ritz crackers
- Cook grits according to package directions.
- While grits are cooking, cook the spinach according to package directions also.
- When grits are cooked, ad 6 ounces of the cheese along with the butter and mayo; mix to blend.
- Place beaten eggs in a measuring cup and add enough water to make one cup and add to the grits.
- Mix the grits with the cooked and well drained spinach and pour mixture into a 9x13-inch casserole dish.
- Sprinkle mixture with the cracker crumbs and top with remaining cheese.
- Bake in a 400 degree oven until bubbly and golden brown on top.
Hope you enjoy a wonderful Southern dish and if you have any ham hanging out in the frig, you could dice up a cup of it and add to this recipe!